Bemidji State University (BSU) invites applicants to join our team as the Electrician, who performs provide skilled electrical work in the installation, alteration, repair and maintenance of tools, appliances, and electrical equipment and wring used in communication, light, heat and power systems to comply with national, state, and local electrical codes and safety standards. Bemidji State University is a member of the Minnesota State system of colleges and universities and employs more than 500 faculty and staff.
An offer of employment will be contingent upon a successful criminal background check conducted through the MN Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. Candidates must also possess a valid driver’s license and be able to pass a driving history background check.
Responsibilities of the Electrician include:
- Installing, troubleshooting and repairing general lighting and power systems throughout the University campus: repairing or replacing defective devices, circuit breakers, cords, ballasts etc. as needed; installing necessary wiring for new appliances and equipment; replacing or removing hazardous wiring systems that are outdated and unused.
- Installing, repairing and maintaining electrical motors and controllers for heating, cooling and ventilating buildings: troubleshooting issues with motors, starters, controllers and related equipment, and repairing or replacing as needed; cleaning and servicing equipment; replacing bearings, mounts and switches. Percent of Time: 25%
- Servicing and maintaining annunciator, fire alarm and central clock, emergency lighting, power and generating systems: testing fire alarm systems, including all pull station heat and smoke detectors; servicing battery packs, wet or dry; repairing clocks and master system; testing emergency generator, transfer switches and related equipment. Percent of Time: 15%
- Servicing, maintaining and repairing kitchen equipment so that peak efficiency can be maintained with minimal downtime: maintaining and repairing dish handling and washing equipment; maintaining and repairing disposals, mixers, ovens, ranges, fryers and other related equipment; installing new or replacement appliances and equipment. Percent of Time: 15%
- Maintaining and repairing outdoor lighting transformation vaults, primary feeders and switchgear, including stadium lights and power, scheduling and maintaining proper records of preventative maintenance, charging out stock and emergency repairs, and other related assigned duties to include, but not limited to: installing and repairing outdoor security and parking lighting; maintaining transformer vaults and switch gear; maintaining and repairing stadium lighting; scheduling periodic service of equipment according to recommended service requirements; keeping shop and work areas clean, in order and in a safe and respectable manner; observing appropriate safety and work habits; establishing and maintaining working relationships with fellow workers, faculty, staff and students; assisting with emergency snow removal; performing other related duties as requested. Percent of Time: 15%
Minimum qualifications for this position include:
- Completion of a two-year electrical trade of technical school.
- Possession of a current Minnesota Class A Master or Journey Electrician's license.
- Ability to work on high voltage switchgear and apparatus.
- Ability to work from ladders, scaffolds, air lifts and poles at various heights.
- Effective means of communication to provide a way of “call-in” in case of emergency overtime. The incumbent must agree to work overtime on an “as needed” basis.
- Must possess and maintain a valid State of Minnesota driver’s license.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Proficient in the use of electrician’s hand tools, power tools, electrical testing equipment such as VOMs, meggers, amp meters and recording meters.
- Proficient in reading and understanding wiring diagrams and blueprints.
- Knowledge of mechanical functions of machinery, pneumatics and hydraulics and a general understanding of carpentry, welding, fabricating, and plumbing.
- Familiar with AC-DC circuit, power, potential and current transformers.
- Ability to perform the above in a safe and satisfactory manner.
- A knowledge of, an interest in, or ability and experience working with diverse cultures and populations.
For more details: https://bemidjistate.peopleadmin.com/
To apply: Apply for Vacancy Posting 46437, on the Minnesota Management and Budget (MMB) website: http://mn.gov/mmb/careers/.