Nursing Lab Assistant
NORTHWEST TECHNICAL COLLEGE (NTC) invites qualified applicants to join our team as a part-time Nursing Lab Assistant. To accomplish the mission of “preparing students for rewarding careers”, NTC prioritizes the creation of a culture in which diversity is embraced and all people are safe, welcome, and validated. NTC has prepared students for fulfilling careers in high-demand fields for more than 50 years. The college’s accessible, affordable, hands-on programs also help the region’s employers meet their ever-growing need for a highly skilled workforce. NTC serves more than 1,000 students with an excellent education, an open-enrollment policy and affordable tuition. Students may pursue nearly 40 degrees, diploma and certificate programs in six distinct career paths. Classes are offered on campus, online, or as a combination of both. NTC is a member of the Minnesota State system of colleges and universities.
The Nursing Lab Assistant will perform specialized work in the Simulation and Nursing Labs in the Nursing Department of NTC. The Assistant will work with the Simulation and Lab Coordinators, faculty, Program Technician, and the Dean to coordinate the simulation and nursing labs. Areas of responsibilities include monitoring labs, inventory control, simulation preparation and operating, training and instructional use of simulation, and multi-media utilization. The Nursing Lab Assistant will maintain the nursing lab, organize open learning labs and stations, assist students with skills practice and clinical remediation, facilitate appropriate proctored lab practice, and communicate with faculty to determine priorities. The expectation is for the student to gain increased clinical skills proficiency to ensure safe, competent patient care at the clinical sites. In addition, this person prepares the laboratory for nursing class, supervises student lab workers and nursing students, and maintains the lab inventory. The expectation is for communication with instructors to be clear and timely. The Nursing Lab Assistant will maintain the learning environment of the skilled nursing lab and simulation lab. This includes the procurement of supplies and learning tools, maintenance of existing equipment, organization of supply closets, and assisting/leading clinical simulation. The expectation is for the nursing and simulation labs to be maintained and organized.
Responsibilities of the Nursing Lab Assistant include:
- Skills Lab Learning Environment (35% of time)
- Organize and maintain the utilization of the skills laboratory under limited supervision.
- Prepare for nursing classes throughout each semester (organizing laboratory activities with faculty, staff, and student workers, maintaining inventory, assisting faculty with ordering supplies, monitoring equipment repair and safety, providing work direction and coordinating schedules for student lab workers, and coordinating the use of shared equipment with the NTC nursing lab).
- Perform an annual skills lab inventory.
- Evaluate overall operations of the skills lab activities and hours.
- Provide input on future equipment and student needs for the skills and simulation labs.
- High Fidelity Simulation (35% of time)
- Assist faculty in the use of high-fidelity simulation.
- Lead or collaborate simulation exercises with faculty.
- Create and set-up simulation scenarios.
- Complete data-entry of simulation scenarios
- Obtain and sustain simulation training and instructional use and multi-media utilization.
- Maintain simulation lab and simulation equipment.
- Perform an annual simulation lab inventory.
- Student Learning Support (20% of time)
- Provide orientation to the skills lab for nursing students.
- Collaborate with nursing faculty and serving as a resource to students and faculty.
- Help to implement innovative nursing practices in the skills lab.
- Hire coordinate, scheduling, providing work direction, and training student workers assigned to the lab.
- Assess the need for student worker assistance and making recommendations to the department chair.
- Nursing Department Support (10% of time)
- Provide support for the Nursing Department office for lab and simulation documentation.
- Engage in recruitment efforts for the Nursing Department.
- Assist with social media for the Nursing Department.
Minimum qualifications for this position include:
- Post-secondary or industry certificate/diploma/degree or relevant licensure in nursing AND one year of teaching or tutoring in nursing at the high school level or above OR
- Two years of nursing or health care experience OR
- An equivalent combination of education and health-related work experience.
- Knowledge of nursing practice; knowledge of techniques and operation of nursing laboratory and learning equipment.
- Ability to organize laboratory activities with faculty, staff, and student workers.
- Ability to provide orientation and training for student assistants with delegation as appropriate.
- Ability to evaluate overall operations of skills lab activities and hours.
- Verbal and written communication skills sufficient to communicate effectively with stakeholders.
- Willing to procure simulation training.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Post-secondary degree: LPN or RN.
- Previous experience as a Lab Assistant or Coordinator, or Simulation Assistant.
- Demonstrate knowledge of, interest in, or experience with, diverse cultures and populations.
- Teaching experience.
- Knowledge of the priorities, goals and mission of Northwest Technical College.
SALARY: Depends on Qualifications; current salary range is $18.61 - $26.01 per hour
JOB TYPE/SCHEDULE: Unlimited Part-time (0.70 FTE); average 30 hours per week; flexible hours during the week and on occasional weekends. An approximate work schedule: 46 weeks x 25-35 hours per week = 1560 hours/year. Depending upon hours worked each day, the shift may include one 30-minute unpaid meal break and two 15-minute paid rest breaks.
For further details or to apply online: https://ntcmn.peopleadmin.com/