Director of Academic Support Staff
Bemidji State University (BSU) invites qualified applicants to join our team as the Director of Academic Support Staff. BSU’s vision is to educate people to lead inspired lives. To accomplish BSU’s vision, the University prioritizes creating a culture in which diversity is embraced and all people are safe, welcome, and validated. Centered between the three largest Tribal nations in Minnesota – Leech Lake, Red Lake and White Earth – BSU also prioritizes increasing engagement with American Indian communities to become a destination university.
Enrolling more than 5,000 students, BSU offers more than 70 undergraduate majors and nine graduate degrees encompassing arts, sciences and select professional programs. BSU is a member of the Minnesota State system of colleges and universities and has a faculty and staff of more than 550. BSU’s Shared Fundamental Values include civic engagement and leadership, international and multicultural understanding, belief in the power of the liberal arts, and environmental stewardship. BSU is located amid the lakes and forests of northern Minnesota and occupies a wooded campus along the shore of Lake Bemidji. BSU balances rigorous academia with the opportunity to enjoy a fun, robust, outdoor culture. The proximity to the lake and the surrounding north woods allows easy access to an assortment of recreation.
Under administrative direction, the Director of Academic Support Staff leads and oversees academic administrative staff who support more than 200 faculty within the College of Arts, Education & Humanities, College of Business, Mathematics and Sciences, and College of Individual and Community Health at BSU. The Director provides leadership to all academic supportive operations, has decisive decision-making capacity including the supervision, hiring, training and evaluation of employees. In addition, they are responsible for the budget, program policies/procedures and long-term goal planning. This position requires both broad strategic and direct supervisory oversight of the BSU academic support team; defines, examines, and monitors all academic support team practices; and is responsible for the hiring and promoting of all positions within the academic support teams with the primary goal of attracting top talent to be part of the team. This position also requires institutional collaboration throughout the University on all matters concerning academic support such course scheduling, contract management, and purchasing for all three colleges and their faculty.
Responsibilities of the Director of Academic Support Staff include:
- Ensuring that academic administrative support staff are available to perform the needed work. This position will lead, supervise, and direct staff, including but not limited to hiring, coaching, coordinating schedules, reclassifying/promoting positions, approving leave requests and timesheets, approving transfers when needed, conducting performance evaluations, acting in disciplinary processes, and working through grievance processes.
- Prioritizing, assigning, and supervising the work of the academic administrative support staff.
- Leading and coordinating the implementation of the academic support staff work plans to include successful and timely course scheduling, purchasing, contract needs, and all other clerical support to BSU’s colleges and other academic areas. Ensuring students and faculty have access to the resources and services needed to successfully complete their educational goals. Ensuring excellent customer service in all aspects of academic administrative support operations, meeting deadlines and building and maintaining excellent working relationships with all clienteles.
- Coordinating training and instruction needed for the academic administrative support staff to effectively do their jobs and advance in their careers. Ensuring that collective bargaining agreements and university and system purchasing, and other policies and procedures are followed.
- Developing and Managing budgets. Administering the budgets and fiscal processes for each function of the academic administrative support staff across campus.
- Associate’s degree and one or more years of experience with hiring, directing, coaching, training,
- evaluating, and/or discipline processes OR three (3) years of professional work experience in lieu of a degree.
- One or more years of supervisory or lead work experience.
- Experience in leading and facilitating diverse groups and processes.
- Ability to evaluate processes and services sufficient to recommend and/or implement enhancements.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Three years of supervisory experience which may include student worker supervision.
- Knowledge of bargaining unit contracts. Knowledge and experience using contract management/purchasing systems.
- A demonstrated commitment to the principles of diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism.