Assistant Professor or Instructor of Chemistry
Bemidji State University (BSU) invites qualified applicants to join our team as an Assistant Professor or Instructor of Chemistry. BSU’s vision is to educate people to lead inspired lives. To accomplish BSU’s vision, the University prioritizes creating a culture in which diversity is embraced and all people are safe, welcome, and validated. BSU also prioritizes increasing engagement with Indigenous communities to become a destination university.
The Department of Chemistry is seeking qualified candidates for a full-time instructor to teach undergraduate courses both online and on campus. The Department currently houses undergraduate programs including an ACS accredited BS in Chemistry and other emphases in Biochemistry/Biotechnology, Criminalistics, and Environmental Chemistry. The Department also has a joint program with the Department of Biology for a BS in Biochemistry, Cellular, and Molecular Biology. We are a growing Department and seek opportunities to increase student involvement in faculty mentored research projects. Although this position appointment is limited, we expect a tenure-track assistant or associate professor of chemistry to be available within the year. We have a strong commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusiveness and seek applicants who share our vision.
Responsibilities of the Assistant Professor or Instructor of Chemistry include:
- Teaching biochemistry, biochemistry laboratory, and lower division course, such as: principles of chemistry, general chemistry, or consumer chemistry and their associated laboratories as needed by the Department.
- Designing and delivering on-campus and online courses.
- Contributing to a program of scholarship within the discipline and participate in other faculty duties involving course instruction. The candidate is also encouraged to involve students in undergraduate research activities.
- Contributing to interdisciplinary teaching and involvement in activities that support BSU’s Shared Fundamental Values.
- Contributing to a collegial and supportive environment that advances the goals of the Department, including curriculum development, assessment, and other departmental governance activities.
- Assisting with programmatic accreditation as required by the American Chemical Society.
Minimum qualifications for this position include:
- Earned M.S. or equivalent (e.g. ABD) in biochemistry or a closely related field from a regionally accredited institution at the start of employment.
- Demonstrated commitment to quality teaching.
- 2 years of teaching experience (includes graduate student teaching experience).
- Demonstrated experience working with and/or interest working with students and colleagues from multi-cultural and diverse backgrounds and using culturally responsive pedagogy and practice.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Skills and ability to design and deliver online courses with D2L Brightspace, or similar software, or be willing to obtain the necessary skills for online course design and delivery.
- Experience or willingness to teach associated courses for the department’s BCMB (Biochemistry, Cellular, and Molecular Biology) and Criminalistics emphases. Experience using instrumentation related to these areas is desirable.
Apply online: https://bemidjistate.peopleadmin.com/