Assistant or Associate Professor of Indigenous Studies
Bemidji State University (BSU) invites qualified applicants to join our team as an Assistant or Associate Professor of Indigenous Studies. BSU’s vision is to educate people to lead inspired lives. To accomplish BSU’s vision, the University prioritizes creating a culture in which diversity is embraced and all people are safe, welcome, and validated. BSU also prioritizes increasing engagement with Indigenous communities to become a destination university.
Responsibilities of the Assistant or Associate Professor of Indigenous Studies include:
- Teaching a variety of courses, including survey courses in Indigenous Studies, tribal government, culture, and history.
- Designing and delivering courses for on-campus and online delivery.
- Working with Indigenous Studies faculty and serving on the Indigenous Advisory Council to the President.
- Contributing to scholarship within the discipline, serving the University and community, and other associated faculty duties.
- Advising and supporting students’ academic progress.
- Contributing to a collegial and supportive environment that advances the goals of the department, including curriculum development, assessment, and other departmental governance activities.
- Contributing to interdisciplinary teaching and involvement in activities that support BSU’s Shared Fundamental Values.
- Assisting with programmatic accreditation.
- Ph.D in Indigenous Studies, or related field, from an accredited institution by time of hire.
- Scholarly potential.
- Deep knowledge of and connection to North American Indigenous communities.
- Familiarity with and embrace of Indigenous pedagogy.
- Ability to teach Indigenous Studies classes with a regional focus on the Ojibwe and other Great Lakes tribes.
- Demonstrated commitment to quality teaching.
- Willingness and ability to assist with program development.
- Willingness and ability to work cooperatively with a team of dynamic Indigenous scholars and community members.
- Skills/ability to design and deliver online courses.
- Experience with teaching in higher education (college, university).
- Knowledge of and experience with diverse cultures and populations. Knowledge of and experience working with students and colleagues from multi-cultural and diverse backgrounds.
- Knowledge and/or experience of assessment.
APPLY ONLINE: https://bemidjistate.peopleadmin.com/